Sunday, May 8, 2011

What my mom taught me about sales and networking

My mother passed away in 2003. On Mother's day, I thought it would be appropriate to talk about her influence on me and how she helped shape the sales person I have become.

First, it is important to understand that my mother was not a salesperson. In fact, she spent her entire life taking care of the sick. she was a nurse. I think that was the first seed found in great sales people, a truly honest desire to help others. If you can show a client or business partner that you care about what their needs are, then your product becomes secondary. They buy you, not the product.

My mom was bigger than life. She commanded a presence when she walked in the room. It seemed wherever she went, she knew someone there. Before social media and connections, there was the simplest dynamic, building a solid reputation by doing good work and others knowing that. Everyone that knew my mother  also knew she was dependable and you could call on her with any problem and she would do anything she could to help. Know any good sales people that fit that description? If not, you need to find some better contacts.

Mom was fearless. She was not afraid to ask for what she wanted, and when it came to those important to her she would not relent until she reached her goal. Persistence is a common characteristic of the top sales pro's. Pushing for what you want in a negotiation is paramount to success.

She had a heart of gold. If she wasn't volunteering at church she was helping with my scouts troop or cooking dinner for 30+ people for the next family dinner. Mom built up a powerful network of people because of her dedication to serving the community.

When it came to networking, Mom would always help first. If someone tried to pay her she would always tell them "you would do the same for me, and I may need your help one day." Truly effective networking is about giving 4 times as much as you get. sometimes even more. Do for good and the positive will return itself.

So that is it. Mom understood persistence, generosity, helping yourself through helping others and surrounding yourself with a network of other like minded people.

Thanks for reading today

Mike S.

BTW follow me on twitter @mistertelecom

No comments:

Post a Comment