Monday, February 14, 2011

Some Networking 101

I have lots of people ask me how to become a great networker. Frankly, I don't really do anything special. I have noticed that I do many things consistently that many others don't So I wanted to share some of those items here today.

   First: keep a box of your business cards in the trunk of your car. I can't tell you how many people come to an event and when I ask them for a card they tell me they don't have any with them. Uh hello, it's a networking event. be late, but don't forget your cards, go back to the office if you need to and get your cards.

Second: be sure to get a card from everyone new to the group. When you get back to the office, send them a quick email or better yet, invite them to connect with you on one of your social media sites.

Third: listen twice as much as you speak. Amazing how many people will verbally vomit all over you at the first chance they get. which leads to my next idea

Fourth: know what you are going to say. I have friends I have known in my networking circle for years that still cannot tell me what they do in 30 seconds or less. I have essentially used the same "elevator pitch" for the last 5 years. Once you know what you need it only takes little tweaks to adjust to your current goal

Fifth: follow the rules of the meeting. I cant tell you how many people will speak out of turn or will start talking about their latest promotion when it is just their turn to give a 30 second introduction. Don't be rude, follow the rules. If you don't know the rules, ask.

Sixth and last tip for today. Whenever possible, be the first one to offer a lead or referral. Obviously you have to do a good job of my third point before hand but, you get the idea.

Thanks for reading today

Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment