Monday, March 7, 2011

When did "You're Welcome" become "No Problem"

The English language is a a goofy one to say the least. It has no true roots, instead it takes little bits and pieces from all over the planet. So the rules to our language can be difficult to navigate and even the most knowledgeable people of its grammar will make huge blunders ( I am including myself in that group, mostly the blunders part). So I wanted to touch on some of these substitute words and phrases.

Let's start with "No Problem." often this is the response when people say "thank you." What problem? Who said there was a problem? I was just trying to thank you for doing something for me, no problem implied. But now that the other person has implied there is a  problem. This is a very simple but profound example of how words choice can affect the intended meaning of your statement.

Here's a quick one: irregardless. Stop saying that. regardless already covers the meaning. It's annoying.

Speaking of annoying. We all know someone that will "overuse" a specific word or phrase. I have a friend who is a very good salesman but he cannot get through a paragraph without saying "the bottom line." I understand he is trying to underline or punctuate a particular portion of his statement, but when it is used 3 or 4 times in a single conversation it loses its power and also indicates a lack of intelligence, it's subtle but W. Clement Stone once said  " a little hinge will swing a big door."

Here is another subliminal one "well, to be honest with you..." what?! Up until now everything else you said is a lie? That's not what the person speaking means, but that is the effect those words have on a conversation. In sales this is deadly because trust is the foundation of the transaction and without trust, you cannot close the deal, I don't care how good a sales person you are.

To summarize, say what you mean: say "your welcome" when some says "thank you." Listen to what comes out of your mouth. Get rid of the repetitive statements. Think about the power of your words. Even if unintended, the meaning of the words you choose, go a long way towards the final outcome of all transactions.

Thanks for reading today


Mike S.

BTW follow me on twitter @mistertelecom

4 comments:

  1. The grammar has bitten you. I think you meant "You're welcome", not "Your welcome".

    Language bits that annoy me are the vastly overuse of the word extreme (everything is extreme???) and absolutely. Can you do this? Absolutely! When did absolutely become a substitute for 'yes'?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah! I checked it in the title but not the body of the blog, good catch. I believe you are correct. "absolutely" falls into that "the bottom line" category. The intent behind the use, is for emphasis or to underline a point. Ultimately it just makes the person sound silly. Thanks for the comment and I truly love your avatar.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bottom line, Mike - I agree with you absolutely.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like "Indeed." It's subtle, yet positive.

    ReplyDelete